General disinfection protocol:
- Remove all organic matter- *Surfaces cannot be disinfected if organic matter is present.* Scrub surfaces with warm, soapy water to remove all traces of organic matter including dirt, feces, saliva and mucous.
- Allow surface to dry before applying a disinfectant.
- Disinfect- After scrubbing the surface, use an approved disinfectant such as bleach (recommended at a strength of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water) or accelerated hydrogen peroxide (ie. Intervention®, Trifectant®, or Virkon S®) or a phenolic (i.e. One Stroke Environ® or Tek-Trol®). Be sure to follow label directions for use including precautions that workers should be taking in applying the product used.
- Allow surface to dry before using the vehicle.
- Remember to disinfect crossties and under floor mats as well- floor mats should be pulled up, scrubbed, and sprayed with a disinfectant, as should the floor beneath them. Crossties should be cleaned of organic matter and disinfected.